Sunday, August 24, 2008

Tanked 08 August 15,16,17

With some planning and some good freinds from the website rideohio.org a campout & ride event was planned. Motorcycle enthusiasts from all over the state of Ohio gathered for the three day event. Vicki did not go but i'm sure she would have loved it if she had.



I took the day off on Friday and packed my Goldwing with everything but the kitchen sink. Setting out toward Mohican State Park at 8:30 AM.



I took the highway up to my destination in a very uneventful ride. We camped at the Mohican Reservation in tents. This is why my lovely wife did not go because she does not camp.



I was she third bike in behind Tank and Skidplate. I immediatly started unpacking the Wing as Skid laughed saying that it looked like I was unpacking a clown car with all of the stuff I had in there.



After unpacking I set up my tent and started making dinner. I had made two gallons of my moms spaghetti sauce and had frozen it for this event.

As I cooked more and more bikes and riders poured in. That night we had nearly 30 people there around our campfire. Most stayed the night and some went home if they lived close then came back the next day.

After a night of drinking and BS'ing around the campfire retired to our tents about 1:30 AM.

As always I was up by 6:00. I tried to go back to sleep
then at 6:30 I crawled out of the tent. I grabbed my towel, bathroom things, and a clean set of clothes and off to the shower house I went.
I will say they are not the nicest showers I have ever seen but not the worst either. I showered shaved and headed back to camp. As I returned I saw that several more had got up and were sitting around the picnic table looking like hell froze over. I guess the night of drinking and wild stories had the best of them.
Mickey and I set out for town on our scoots and searched for breakfast. We found a family diner that had a brakfast buffet. We decided against the buffet and ordered. I trid to watch what I orderd because of my diet. I did very well and settled for sausage & eggs with lots of coffee.
With breakfast over we took some pictures then rode back to camp.
I started packing up the tent and the rst of my things because after the ride Mickey and I were heading home.
With the bike packed and time to spare we sat down and had time to talk to everyone a little more before we headed out on our Saturday ride.

The saturday ride started out with about 28 bikes of all kinds and I believe Jim was Tom was leading on his Goldwing. I had tailgunner and the rst of the Goldwings were spread into the mix to keep us on track in case we got seperated. (Most of us have GPS and CB communications on the Goldwings). as made the second right turn we hit a gravel road about a mile down. Most elected to turn around which now had me leading the ride. I detoured my GPS and it took us another route. After several miles and many, many turns we came upon gravel again and I kept going. The rest did follow which suprised me about some of them. We arrived at Heinies Cheese Factory about 11:15 real close to being on schedule.
After touring the Cheese house and sampling some of the best Amish made cheese I have ever had we were on our way again.
As we arrived and left Heinies we had picked up some more of our group who had joined us there. We were now numbered in the 30's or so.
We left out in three groups with Bob leading the first who is one of the owners of Heinies.
He led us alaong one of the best routes I have ever been on. Every road was as scenic as the last and each one was full of these long sweeping curves that you could really lay the bike over and feel the "G" forces. Eventually we landed at Spitlers Family Restaurant where they had been expecting us and had a buffet ready. We all sat down together and had a wonderful meal. This is where we all seemed to bond. Wing riders, crotch rocket ridrs, Harley riders, bikers of all types all sat down together and talked and really got to know each other. It was great. We decided right then and there that we were all basically the same. We just have a different preference of bikes. But it is fun to bash each other when we can.
After lunch our route continued as it had began. Twisting roads one after another. Bob had picked the perfect ride and it seemed we had the perfect day too. The tmp was about 79 and the skies were clear and a perfect blue. He led us next to a restaurand called The Old Mill Restaurand which is the home of Velvet Ice Cream. What a beautiful place it turned out to be. I loved it. Most had ice cream of coures and a lot more pictures were taken. I passed on the ice cream and just enjoyed talking to everyone.
This was the southern most point of our ride so it is where Mickey and I said our goodbyes the the group. We had a wonderful time and met a lot of new friends. It was nice to be able to put a face to a name on our website.
We headed out and led by the one and only Jnor and his wife Mnor. We stopped to fill up on fuel then we were off. They led us out to the Interstate and we were off headed for home.
We rode the highway back to make time only stopping once for a short 5 minute break.
I peeled off on my exit toward home onto Route 123 and he continued toward New Richmond.
I rolled into the house about 6:45 that evening unpacked and, showered and got ready for bowling. What a great experience it was with some new face I can now call my friends. I loged 484 miles in two days but they were awsome. I can't wait to do it all again next year and I think Vicki is going. She will totally enjoy it.

No comments: